Friday, March 20, 2009

The flirtations of a fool: Terminal B, Gate 56 nonstop service to Ontario

There is this girl in green
Looking right at me
Unabashed unwavering
seemingly infatuated with me
or something in my direction
And I'm facing her
trying not to get sucked into the blackhole
Of a possibly interested female gaze

It's not love at first sight for me
or even fleeting attraction
but I am still taken by her persistence
It's so rare I am flattered
in this way

I think our eyes met a few times
though I could hardly hold it
for longer than a few seconds
But now she is distracted by the phone
And I'm the one painting her with stares
like Van Gogh's Starry Night
Laying it on thick
With Denver International Airport as a canvas
While hundreds of people run and stress
over where they will end up in a few hours
I just did it again
Looked right at her while she looked at me

My guess is that by the time I warm up
To the idea of flirting a bit
She'll have gotten over whatever
Fascinated her about me
in the first place
And it wouldn't be the first time

Late budding confidence
Has never bloomed into anything
Save for esteem wilting disappointment
And neither will comparing myself to a flower

Ahhh! but the airport is a rotten place to waste a day

No comments: